Monday, February 20, 2012

Happiness

Jerry and I had a wonderful weekend with our Family.  On Saturday we celebrated Ashley's 7 1/2 birthday!  Her birthday was in August, and it just got overlooked because of all the stress we were under at the time.  I told Ashley that we would have a party for her during the school year, and she was happy with that.  What a joy it was to see her so happy.  Jerry and I, with the assistance of my 11 year old daughter, watched 6 little happy 6 & 7 year olds pin the tail on the donkey, break open a pinata ,play musical chairs, play hot potato, jump on our trampoline, and dig into a delicious ice cream cake.   On Sunday we celebrated our "February" birthdays with my side of the family.  Our family is so large, that we have birthdays just about every month of the year!  To make it more simple, we get together once a month and celebrate.  We don't purchase expensive gifts, we just get together and enjoy each other.  Seeing the joy on my daughters face Saturday, and having my family over on Sunday, made me really think about what is so easily missed when you are under the kind of stress we are under right now. Putting aside everything we are going through and just enjoying our life was the perfect medicine for me! 

Jerry is becoming more certain everyday of the path that he wants to take regarding treatment.  When we first came back from the Burzynski clinic he had serious doubts.  He didn't know if the expense was worth it.  As time has went on and more research has been done, he is even more confident now in proceeding with Dr. Burzynski's treatment plan.  Jerry does not qualify for any of Dr. Burzynski's clinical trials because of the fact that Jerry has not had any "traditional" treatment thus far.  To qualify, you have to had tried traditional treatment, and it had to fail in order to qualify.  Because of this, Dr. Burzynski is putting Jerry on a very low dose of chemotherapy during his treatment of gene targeted therapy which is FDA approved.  If this treatment doesn't work, he will then submit to the FDA to see if he will qualify since he did the traditional chemotherapy.

Jerry is getting closer to making his decision on a date to start treatment.  He is just very concerned with his business and his employees being out of work during his treatment in Texas which could last up to 3 weeks.

Thank you for following my posts.  It is such a good outlet for me to express my thoughts and feelings.  I'm not a professional in any way, just a mom and a wife that wants to enjoy a long life with my husband and children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment