Crumbs in the Peanut Butter Jar!!

OK, so moms are full of wisdom, right?  Well, my mom very recently gave me some words of wisdom...it was a very simple message, but it was true......did I really care if their were crumbs in the peanut butter jar?

Last weekend, we had a fundraiser to raise funds for our upcoming trip to Texas.  The fundraiser was held at our church, which is 45 minutes from our home.  Crazy, I know....but Jerry and I love it there, we feel like we are part of one big family.  Anyway, the fundraiser was held on Saturday evening, and we knew we wouldn't be getting out of there till late that evening...so I asked my parents if my family of 6 could stay with them that Saturday night so that we didn't have to drive 45 minutes home that evening and then 45 minutes back again the next morning for church.  My parents have a large home with 4 bedrooms and they are always eager to have grand kids (& kids) spend the night with them, so as I expected, it was not a problem.  Sunday morning came, and my parents were slaving in the kitchen making scrambled eggs & toast for everyone.  After my children were all fed, I sat down next to my husband at the counter, and started to butter my toast.  To my immediate disappointment, there was jelly in the butter!  Who just used it?  My husband!  I started complaining to my mom about how he leaves crumbs in the peanut butter every morning and how I can't stand it.  I have even purchased a second jar of peanut butter that I "stashed" in the back of the pantry so that I could use a "crumb free" jar of peanut butter when I wanted it.  I continued to complain, got the jelly out of the butter, and then went on and buttered my toast (perfectly of course, with no crumbs or jelly left behind).  I didn't even think about what I had done and how "petty" it was.  My mom pulled me aside and said to me "Lyn, be thankful you have crumbs in your peanut butter jar, it could be different, he could be gone and you wouldn't have that problem anymore".  My mom was right.  My husband is facing a terminal illness, and I'm complaining about him leaving crumbs behind?  The reality though, is that even if my husband didn't have a terminal illness, I shouldn't be complaining of things like this.  I have a job as my husband's wife to lift him up, not put him down, to love him, cherish him and adore him.  I need to be the person that he can be himself around at ALL times and not worry about what I am going to say or think.

I read these passages on www.avirtuouswoman.org

 A Virtuous Woman respects her husband. She does him good all the days of her life. She is trustworthy and a helpmeet. (Proverbs 31: 11- 12, Proverbs 31: 23, Proverbs 31: 28, 1 Peter 3, Ephesians 5, Genesis2: 18)

 A Virtuous Woman serves her husband, her family, her friends, and her neighbors with a gentle and loving spirit. She is charitable. (Proverbs 31: 12, Proverbs 31: 15, Proverbs 31: 20, 1 Corinthians 13: 13)



So, my question for you today:  What do you do or say to your spouse to lift them up?  Do you complain about the little things?  If your spouse wasn't around tomorrow, would you think that complaining about such "things" was worth it? 

We are all human, and we all make mistakes in the daily course of our lives, but I am going to try and be more intentional regarding my husband.  Besides, what husband is going to turn around and love and adore a wife who is always nit picking and complaining?

**********************************************************************************

I also wanted to update everyone regarding our upcoming appointment to Texas.  Jerry is very positive about this trip.  We have seen God work in our lives in many different ways regarding our finances.  Just today, I had a friend donate a large sum of money, and this friend just donated a large sum of money a week ago....I called to thank her, and she stated to me that she is currently looking for a home church so she decided to give her "tithe" to us because she knows that we will give God all the glory for the work being done with the money.  The same day, I opened a bill that I have had and been paying on for a couple of years, and I still owed $800.  There was a note at the bottom saying that my balance was now $0, and that the $800 I owed was "written off".  I sent the company a message telling them "thank you" and the response I received was "Good Luck In Texas".  How did they even know?  God, that is how they knew. 

You can call it a coincidence if you want.  I don't believe it.  I believe God uses obedient people to do his work.

Thank you for being his servants. 

Jerry and I, along with our son and Jerry's mom are leaving for Texas in just over a week.   We will be keeping everyone posted as to how things are going while we are there.  We are excited and anxious to see what God has in store for Jerry.



Comments

  1. Good one, Lyn. We all need to be reminded about the 'crumbs' sometimes.....love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thy Will Be Done

WHO HOLDS YOUR TOMORROW?

HOPE